Solar power technology companies continued this week to lead the overall green indices and ETFs as well as the broad markets.
The EnergyBoom Solar Subindex (E•B Solar) increased 4.06 percent and the Guggenheim Solar ETF (TAN) gained 3.32 percent on the week, compared with the S&P 500 (+0.13 percent), the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+1.43 percent) and the NASDAQ composite ( -1.51 percent).
For the first three weeks of 2011, The EnergyBoom Solar Subindex (E•B Solar) has increased 14 percent and the Claymore/MAC Global Energy Index ETF (TAN) has increased 10.7 percent, compared with the S&P 500 (+2.04 percent), the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+2.54 percent) and the NASDAQ composite ( +1.38 percent).
Leading the E•B Solar companies were:
- Polysilicon technology company GT Solar International, Inc. (NASDAQ: SOLR) +9.77 percent
- German-based photovoltaic systems company SolarWorld AG (Xetra: SWV.DE) +9.5 percent
Other top performers in the EnergyBoom Clean 100 Index (E•B Clean 100) were:
- Manufacturer of fuel cell power units for folk lifts Plug Power, Inc. (NASDAQ: PLUG) 18 percent
- Lithium ion battery pack manufacturer Ener1, Inc. (NASDAQ: HEV) +14 percent
- Light-emitting diode (LED) lighting manufacturer Lighting Science Group Corporation (OTC: LSCG.OB) +13.95 percent
- Power developer U.S. Geothermal Inc. (AMEX: HTM +12.5 percent
- Danish-based multinational wind turbine company Vestas Wind Systems A/S (OTC: VWDRY.PK) +8.67 percent
EnergyBoom indices performance January 14 through January 21:
- EnergyBoom Clean 100 Index (E•B Clean 100) -1.33 percent
- EnergyBoom Wind Subindex (E•B Wind) +0.72 percent
- EnergyBoom Solar Subindex (E•B Solar) +4.06 percent
- EnergyBoom Biofuel Subindex (E•B Biofuel) -2.52 percent
- EnergyBoom Efficiency Subindex (E•B Efficiency) -4.10 percent
Broad market performance January 14 through January 21:
- S&P 500 Index +0.13 percent
- Dow Jones Industrial Average +1.43 percent
- NASDAQ Composite -1.51 percent
- FTSE 100 -1.90 percent
- DAX 30 Index -0.23 percent
- CAC 40 Index +0.79 percent
- Shanghai Composite -2.07 percent
- Hang Seng Index -1.82 percent
Green exchanged-traded funds (ETFs) January 14 through January 21:
- Market Vectors Global Alternative Energy ETF (GEX) -0.34 percent
- PowerShares Global Clean Energy Portfolio (PBD) -0.70 percent
- First Trust NASDAQ Clean Edge Green Energy Index (QCLN) -3.12 percent
- Guggenheim Solar ETF (TAN) +3.32 percent
- First Trust Global Wind Energy ETF (FAN) +1.33 percent
- NASDAQ OMX Clean Edge Smart Grid ETF (QGRD) +1.07 percent
- NASDAQ OMX Clean Edge Global Wind (^QWND) +0.85 percent
- Guggenheim S&P Global Water (CGW) -1.60 percent
DISCLOSURE: The writer has no positions in, or professional connections with, these companies.
Any opinion contained in this article is solely that of the writers, and does not necessarily shape or reflect the editorial opinions of Energy Boom. Energy Boom content is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be advice regarding the investment merits of, or a recommendation regarding the purchase or sale of, any security identified on, or linked through, this site.