Here are the Top 10 Renewable Energy News Stories You May Have Missed this Week:
1. Algal Fuel: VG Energy Study Shows Price Parity Possible with Conventional Oil - Proprietary technology owned by VG Energy could create algal biofuel at costs competitive with current prices for conventional crude according to a report released by the company this week.
2. Florida Home to World's First Hybrid Energy Plant - Florida's largest electric utility Florida Power & Light Company is the owner and operator of the world's first hybrid solar natural gas energy center.
3. World's Longest Sub-Sea Electric Cable Could Bring Iceland's Geothermal Energy to Europe - Iceland's state-run energy company, Landsvirkjun, is considering manufacturing the world's longest sub-sea electric cable so it can bring its abundance of geothermal energy to interested parties in Europe.
4. Canada to Pump Investment Dollars into Green Energy - The government of Canada has committed to invest nearly CDN$64 million over the next 10 years in renewable power projects to stimulate growth in the clean-energy industry and to reduce the nation's greenhouse gas emissions.
5. E•BOOM CAPITAL: Johnson Controls Buys Demand Response Software Company - Energy efficiency solutions provider Johnson Controls Inc. has signed an agreement to acquire the shares of EnergyConnect Group, Inc., a small demand response software company based in Campbell, California, for $32.3 million. Shares of EnergyConnect rose 63% on the news of the announcement.
6. Argonne Measures Cost of Solar PV Using Monte Carlo Simulation - At the Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois, a team of scientists has developed a novel way to evaluate the cost of solar photovoltaic (PV) power.
7. GE Takes Electric Vehicles On Tour in the U.S. - Energy giant General Electric has released the March dates for its EV Experience tour in the United States. The tour is intended to build awareness, support and excitement for the deployment of electric vehicles.
8. United States: BLM Gives Renewable Projects Priority - The United States Bureau of Land Management will give 19 proposed renewable energy projects priority when it considers requests to develop on public land.
9. U.S. Solar Industry Has Record-Breaking Year in 2010 - A new industry report conducted by the Solar Energy Industries Association and GTM Research highlights record-breaking growth for the United States' solar power industry in 2010.
10. Report Shows India Has More Than 7,000 Megawatts of Tidal Power Potential - A recent study performed by the Indian government shows the country has an estimated 8,000 megawatts of tidal energy potential.
That's it, consider yourself up to date. Remember the best way to stay up to date on the latest breaking stories in the renewable and cleantech sectors is to follow EnergyBoom on Twitter and Facebook.
Any opinion contained in this article is solely that of the writers, and does not necessarily shape or reflect the editorial opinions of Energy Boom. Energy Boom content is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be advice regarding the investment merits of, or a recommendation regarding the purchase or sale of, any security identified on, or linked through, this site.